Monday, January 4, 2010

Smoothie Recipe

My friend C asked me for my smoothie recipe so I thought I’d post it. I eat these almost every day for breakfast and they are satisfying and nutritious.

You have to experiment to get the consistency you want. I like my smoothies light and fluffy (rather than thick and icy), so here is what I do. Add the following into the blender and blend:
  • One banana
  • Two or three large spoonfuls of organic yogurt (I usually buy vanilla flavored organic yogurt. I buy organic because it’s generally not sweetened with large amounts of high fructose corn syrup, like other yogurts, which will make you crash with hunger in like an hour).
  • About a ½ cup to 1 cup frozen fruit (you have to experiment with this amount) I buy large bags of frozen fruit either at Target or Sam’s Club. Usually I buy a triple berry mix or a tropical blend.
  • About a ½ cup to 1 cup organic milk (again, experiment)
  • If you have other fresh fruit that you want to throw in, add it in small amounts (like ¼ cup or less) or the smoothie will get really watery. Also, canned crushed pineapple is inexpensive and great in smoothies.
  • Add any extras, like peanut butter, almond butter, cinnamon, honey…just a tiny bit, like a teaspoon of peanut butter or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
  • I also buy flax seed in the natural foods section of the grocery store and then grind it in my coffee grinder and sprinkle it on top of the finished smoothie.
The longer you blend the fluffier it gets. Pour it into a glass. I sprinkle my flax seed on top, and/or stir it into the smoothie because I found it was kind of hard to clean out of the blender.
I don’t follow a recipe any more, or measure, I just throw stuff in. You’ll get the feel for how much to add to make the kind of consistency you prefer.

A note about the benefits of flax seed…Flax seed is supposedly one of those “miracle foods.” It’s high in omega three fatty acids…here are a few benefits:

(HealthCastle.com) Its high content of alpha linolenic acids has made the ancient flax seed become our modern miracle food. Alpha linolenic acid (ALA) is a type of plant-derived omega 3 fatty acid, similar to those found in fish such as salmon. Benefits of flax seed as shown in many studies include lowering total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) levels. Other benefits show that flax seed may also help lower blood triglyceride and blood pressure. It may also keep platelets from
becoming sticky therefore reducing the risk of a heart attack…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...